We’re looking for a surprising view of Alberta— in other words, a unique image of a person, place or thing that doesn’t typically come to mind when describing the province.
2018 Contest Rules
1. All entries must be original and unpublished. Submission to the contest gives Alberta Views a one-time right to publish the winner and runners up in our magazine and on our website. Runner’s Up, should the judge choose any, are not eligible for a prize. Alberta Views will seek permission to publish those entries before publishing them in print or online. The artist retains ownership of his or her work at all times.
2. The contest is open to all current or former residents of Alberta except employees of Alberta Views.
3. Your first entry costs $30; subsequent entries cost $15 each. All entries include a one-year (10 issue) subscription to Alberta Views which can be kept or gifted to family, friends or a local library. If you submit more than one entry, please include the name and mailing addresses of the people or organizations you want your extra subscriptions to go to. If no one else is specified, we will add 10 issues to your own subscription for each additional $15 entry submitted.
4. Photos can be edited lightly, for light and to remove blemishes, for instance, but should not be edited to the point of being a photo illustration.
5. Mailed or emailed entries must be accompanied by a single cover page that includes the following: Your name, complete mailing address, telephone number, and email address, title of all your entries.
6. All entries in this contest will be judged anonymously, on merit alone. The author’s name must not appear in the file name or be watermarked on the photo.
7. Entries must not be previously published. Should an entry be accepted for publication elsewhere after the contest deadline but before the winning entry has been announced, the author must notify Alberta Views immediately.
8. The judge’s decision is final. One winner will receive a prize of $1,000, and at the discretion of the publisher, the winning entry will be published in an upcoming issue and edited for consistency with
9. The deadline to enter submissions is February 28, 2018.
To enter online:
Upload your photo in this form.
All photos should be submitted as a jpeg or pdf and be under 20 MB in size.
Photos can also be emailed to
or mailed to
208-320 23 Ave SW, Calgary Alberta, T2S 0J2.
Photos are judged anonymously. Your name cannot appear anywhere on the photo. Mailed or emailed entries must be accompanied by a single cover page that includes the following: Your name, complete mailing address, telephone number, and email address, title of all your entries.
The deadline for submissions is February 28, 2018. We must have received both your payment and your files by the deadline for your entries to be eligible.