Have you written a story all Albertans should read?
Send it to us! You could win $1,000
and have your writing published in Alberta Views.
The deadline to enter is June 30, 2020.
Congratulations to our 2019 winner, Rona Altrows!
2020 Contest Rules
1. The contest is open to all current or former residents of Alberta except employees of Alberta Views.
2. The fee for entering one piece of fiction is $30. There is no limit to the number of stories you can enter as long as each is accompanied with an entry fee.
3. Each entry fee includes a one-year (10 issues) subscription to Alberta Views. If you subscribe, each entry fee will extend your subscription for another year. Alternatively, entrants may gift their subscription; please click “this is a gift” on the subscription form or include the name and mailing address of gift recipient on your cover letter.
4. Stories must be no longer than 3,000 words.
5. Entries sent by mail must be accompanied by a single cover page that includes the following: Your name, complete mailing address, telephone number, method of payment, email address, the title of all your entries and the word count of each entry.
6. All entries in this contest will be judged anonymously, on merit alone. The author’s name must not appear anywhere on the pages of the story.
7. Entries must be typed, double-spaced, on 8.5 x 11 inch paper. Please use Times New Roman, 12 pt font. Please do not send originals.
8. Entries must not be previously published. Should an entry be accepted for publication elsewhere after the contest deadline but before the winning entry has been announced, the author must notify Alberta Views immediately.
9. The judge’s decision is final. One winner will receive a prize of $1,000, and at the discretion of the publisher, the winning entry will be published in an upcoming issue and edited for consistency with Alberta Views house style (font, spacing etc.).
10. The deadline to enter submissions is June 30, 2020.
To enter online:
To pay your fee: Pay online, mail a cheque or call us to pay over the phone.
To pay online: If you have an existing subscription please go to www.albertaviews.ca/renew. Select “Short Story Contest Entry”. This will add 10 issues onto your existing subscription.
If you do not have a subscription please go to www.albertaviews.ca/new-subscription. Select “Short Story Contest Entry”.
If you would like to give your subscription as a gift, please ensure you click “this is a gift” on the subscription form.
Please allow 6-8 weeks for the arrival of your first issue.
To enter via mail: Print your entries and your cover letter, then mail them, along with your payment.
We must receive both entries and payment before the deadline in order for entries to be eligible.
Alberta Views 2020 Short Story Contest
208–320 23 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2S 0J2
Toll free: 1 877 212 5334
Q: Will I get feedback about my story?
A: Story evaluations will not be offered.
Q: Does the story have to be about Alberta?
A: You must be a current or former resident of Alberta; the story itself does not have to be about Alberta.