Have you written a story all Albertans should read?
Send it to us! You could win $1,000
and have your writing published in Alberta Views.
This contest is now closed.
Congratulations to our 2021 winner, Tom McMillan.
2021 Contest Rules
1. The contest is open to all current or former residents of Alberta except employees of Alberta Views.
2. The fee for entering one piece of fiction is $40. There is no limit to the number of stories you can enter as long as each is accompanied with an entry fee.
3. With entry to the contest you will also receive a one–year, 10-issue subscription to Alberta Views. If you are already a subscriber, your subscription will be extended for another year.
4. Stories must be no longer than 3,000 words.
5. Entries sent by mail must be accompanied by a single cover page that includes the following: Your name, complete mailing address, telephone number, method of payment, email address, the title of all your entries and the word count of each entry.
6. All entries in this contest will be judged anonymously, on merit alone. The author’s name must not appear anywhere on the pages of the story.
7. Entries must be typed, double-spaced, on 8.5 x 11 inch paper. Please use Times New Roman, 12 pt font. Please do not send originals.
8. Entries must not be previously published. Should an entry be accepted for publication elsewhere after the contest deadline but before the winning entry has been announced, the author must notify Alberta Views immediately.
9. The judge’s decision is final. The winner will receive a prize of $1,000 and their story will be published in an upcoming issue, edited only for consistency with Alberta Views house style (font, spacing etc.).
10. The deadline to enter submissions is June 30, 2021.
To enter online:
To pay your fee: Pay online, mail a cheque or call us to pay over the phone.
To pay online: If you have an existing subscription please click here. Select “Short Story Contest Entry”. This will add 10 issues onto your existing subscription.
If you do not have a subscription please click here. Select “Short Story Contest Entry”.
Please allow 6-8 weeks for the arrival of your first issue.
To enter via mail: Print your entries and your cover letter, then mail them, along with your payment. Canada Post is currently experiencing delays due to Covid-19. Please ensure you have allowed ample time for us to receive your entry and payment.
We must receive both entries and payment before the deadline in order for entries to be eligible.
Alberta Views 2021 Short Story Contest
208–320 23 Avenue SW
Calgary, AB T2S 0J2
Toll free: 1 877 212 5334
Q: Will I get feedback about my story?
A: Story evaluations will not be offered.
Q: Does the story have to be about Alberta?
A: The story itself does not have to be about Alberta; you must be a current or former resident of Alberta.